Skip to main content

Non-Western (Modern Life) Blog

    For this week's non-western blog, I have decided to stick to the modern time period and these type of art pieces are something that has been made into something that is related to modern times but also life themed.

(Abel Rodriguez, "Tree of Life and Abundance," Rocio Polanco, Tropenbos International Colombia Archive)

    "The story "the tree of life and abundance" narrated by the indigenous elder and researcher Abel Rodriguez includes the traditional management of food and the understanding these communities have regarding well-being as presented in their mythology of origin." (“The Tree of Life and Abundance”). To my understanding, this is all about the importance of the food cycle and how every life that is taken, has a part into keeping others alive. Like how "at a cultural level, there are multiple symbolic references to well-being, to the proper formation of the body, the proper diets, the management of wild and cultivated products and the seasonal offer of food." (“The Tree of Life and Abundance”)

    As someone who likes to look at nature, this really caught my attention. It not only shows a big great tree, but it also shows some kind of reflection below the top tree. As the title has called this "Tree of Life and Abundance," I like that it shows animals at the bottom of trunk of the tree, and they all are connected to the tree itself. For the colors, I love that the only thing that is colored is the tree itself because that it is the main focus of everything. 

(Anila Quayyam Agha, "Intersections," 2013, laser-cut wood, single light bulb, 6.5 inches square cube, Installation view at Grand Rapids Art Museum, 2014)

"Agha invites us to grasp the complexity of personal and social conditions through simple beauty, a simplicity that is fluid, graspable, and yet compelling. She intends the viewer to experience a safe space in which, as she states in the wall text, “everybody—people of every denomination, color, race, creed, sexuality” are allowed to “be in that space because it’s a place of beauty.” But it is in the specificity of her experience that we find meaning: generalities lack the power to conjure empathy." (Thibodeaux). As much as this art piece shows beauty and class, the story behind its maker is really something to consider with everyone. As the story involves "the uneasy crossing of boundaries from Pakistan to the West, as a woman in a male-centric culture to a Muslim in a predominantly Judeo-Christian culture." (Thibodeaux).

The first time I saw this picture, I thought that there was art drawing on the wall, but as I read about this art piece, it was because of the cube in the middle. I found this art piece really beautiful and interesting because of how something so small can be seen in a bigger picture. I had a thought that if colors were added in this sculpture, it would look very beautiful, but without colors, it looks very classy since it's only black and white. Another thought I had was how heavy this sculpture would be because it looks like it was made out of metal. 

(Yto Barrada, "Palissade de Chantier" (Building Site Wall), Ferry, Tangier, Fig. 3. 2009. Chromogenic print, 60 x 60 cm (23 5/8 x 23 5/8 in.). Vital Projects Fund, Robert B. Menschel. 2022 Yto Barrada, courtesy Sfeir-Semler Gallery)

"In 1998, she began The Strait Project, a series documenting the physical, psychic, and political impact of the Strait of Gibraltar, the narrow body of water connecting the Atlantic and Mediterranean oceans, Northern Africa, and Southern Europe." (“Yto Barrada | MoMA”). It's really admirable for someone who studies in history, political science, and photography and use it to create something meaningful in life. One of the things that she has been questioning is "The central question remains disobedience and insurrection. How does one acquire and transmit political courage?" which later on she has answered to "Barrada shows us that political courage can be found everywhere - we just have to use it." (“Yto Barrada | MoMA”).

When I first saw this, I thought of the California, Alaska, and Hawaii's ocean water. The image just gives of the fresh but old picture that can take you back to the time you first visited the sea. What I like about this picture is of how it was pictured. The colors seem to start to fade, and it seems like the camera it was used was those from the past where it was a little blurry. Adding to the fact that we can see some of the picture is starting to peel off, it really adds to the fact how long it went through. 

Resources: 

culturetrip. “10 Non-Western Contemporary Artists You...” Culture Trip, 19 Dec. 2014, theculturetrip.com/asia/articles/10-non-western-contemporary-artists-you-should-know.

“The Tree of Life and Abundance.” Tropenbos International, www.tropenbos.org/news/the+tree+of+life+and+abundance.

Thibodeaux, Julianna. “Intersections: Anila Quayyum Agha.” Big Red and Shiny, 17 Oct. 2016, bigredandshiny.org/28509/intersections-anila-quayyum-agha/.

“Yto Barrada | MoMA.” The Museum of Modern Art, www.moma.org/artists/42323.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Myself

 Hello Everyone,     My name is Sallie Nicole Delos Reyes, but you all can call me Sallie. I am 21 years old, and I major in Early Childhood Education. I decided on this major because someday I want to be a preschool teacher and taking an art class would be very helpful to my future career. I was born from the Philippines, but my mom decided to move both of uses to the U.S. in order to be with my dad. Things I like to do are singing, dancing, baking, reading, writing, and anything to do with art. Although I am not really one for physical exercise, I have a love for traveling.   Since I want little, I was always drawing everything I could think of, and growing up exploring new things just really got me to try different art styles. Although drawing is my main talent of art, this doesn't mean that I don't try other things that has to do with art. When I was little, I dreamed to be a fashion designer and so that got me to draw and color constant different clothes and dresses. I dre

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

 For this week's blog, I will be showing three different art pieces that is influenced by The Great Depression. As we know The Great Depression was one of the worse events that has ever happened in American History and many outcomes that comes with it is what made things harder, for the people of America, to live. To help put "light" in this depressing times, President Franklin Roosevelt has created the "Works Progress Administration"  Thomas Hart Benton (American, 1889-1975), " Approaching Storm ", 1940 Lithograph, 113/4 x 16 in. (29.8 x 40.6 cm) The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Anonymous Gift (1942) As we know one of the events that has happened during the Great Depression is the Dust Bowl. This drawing of the "Approaching Storm" by Thomas Hart Benton, has shown a scene of a farmer with his horse and farm field before the big dust storm has hit them. "Thomas Hart Benton was an America painter, muralist, and printmaker." (

Romantic Era Blog

For this Romantic Era blog, two styles that I have found to my liking are Romanticism and Art Nouveau. These two styles have things that I have found very interesting, and the painting were always so lovely in my eyes.  The first two artworks I want to represent are " Zodiaque ("La Plume") " by Alphonse Marie Mucha for the Art Nouveau style and " Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Grounds " by John Constable for the Romanticism style. This first Art Nouveau art is called " Zodiaque ("La Plume") " which was created in 1896-1897 in a 63x47 cm (24 13/16x18 9/16 in.) Color lithograph from multiple stones on tan wove paper. When this design was created it was supposed to be for an in-house calendar for the company, Champenois, that Alphonse Mucha works under. Of course, this changed when chief editor, Leon Deschamps, of the 'La Plume' magazine bought the right to put it on the magazines 1897 calendar. Which then on "The Z